Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Eighth Grade Pre-Assessment (Journal #2)




In MSED 251 Life Science, we are asked to do a pre-assessment, "Eighth Grade Life Science Quiz". This is basically all content that is testable pertaining to Biology in the eighth grade. Wow. It is overwhelming the things we forget over time! I am happy to say that I passed the quiz... barely. 70%. My father is a high school biology teacher, who I had for AP Bio, so I'm not sure how proud he would be of that score!

Some of the content that really stumped me was classifying organisms as either vertebrate or invertebrate! Isn't that funny? The things that we hold on to, and the things that get sucked deep inside our memory vault. So, in order to rectify the situation, I found a website called Biology4Kids that has an informative article on the subject.
http://www.biology4kids.com/files/invert_main.html

It is also a bit stressful to realize that all of this information is being taught before the eighth grade! There is so much as educators we need to know! Students have so much more access to information, and that opens so many new doors for questions and exploration- which is great- but, somewhat overwhelming.

I am excited to dive back into the world of Life Science this semester and recall the things I had once learned, but not fully acquired, and hopefully learn some new information! 


Teichfrosch Pelophylax esculentus Gruga 003.jpg
The frog is an amphibian, which are vertebrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment